- Ukraine repatriates five more seriously wounded Russian POWs 10.04.2023
- Rada intends to include history of Ukraine, foreign language in final certification for general secondary education 10.04.2023
- Rada terminates protocol on joint anti-terrorist measures in CIS territories for Ukraine 10.04.2023
- 100 Ukrainians, incl defenders of Mariupol, returned according to swap procedure – Yermak 10.04.2023
- Wagner fighters exhausted by Ukrainian forces: Enemy forced to involve special forces, amphibious assault units in battles for Bakhmut – Syrsky 10.04.2023
Ukrtsukor predicts work of 29 sugar factories in Ukraine in 2023
KYIV. March 30 (Interfax-Ukraine) – The number of sugar factories that will operate in Ukraine in 2023 will increase by six compared to 2022 and reach 29, acting Chairman of the National Association of Sugar Producers of Ukraine Ukrtsukor Nazar Mykhailovyn predicts.
“Because of the hostilities on the territory of our country last year, there were serious problems in Kyiv, Kharkiv, Zhytomyr, and Chernihiv regions. They were unable to take part in the sowing and production of sugar. The 2022 season in Ukraine was completed by 23 plants, which will be joined by six more enterprises this year,” he said in an interview with Interfax-Ukraine.
Mykhailovyn pointed out that the area under sugar beet of 220,000 hectares expected by the Ministry of Agrarian Policy in 2023, compared to 181,400 hectares in 2022, practically corresponds to the pre-war figures of 226,000 hectares.
Ukrtsukra also predicts that the raw material base will be replenished by novice farmers. “Due to difficulties with the sale of sunflower, corn and wheat, many farmers have paid attention to the liquidity of sugar beet – it does not need to be stored, dried, that is, additionally invest money,” Mykhailovyn said.
He added that when selling sugar beets to processing plants, farmers immediately receive a payment. In addition, when signing contracts with agricultural producers, sugar refineries provide them with seeds, fertilizers, plant protection products and, if necessary, equipment that is on the balance sheet of processing enterprises.
According to the forecasts of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy, in 2023 the area under sugar beet in Ukraine will amount to 220,000 hectares compared to 180,000 hectares a year earlier. Gross beet production is expected to be in the range of 11.3 million tonnes, which is 1.6 million tonnes more than in 2021.