- Biden says he plans to discuss with Zelensky issue of arms supplies 31.01.2023
- One child, one man killed, five more civilians wounded amid enemy shelling of Bakhmut on Tues – prosecutor's office 31.01.2023
- Meeting of European Commission with Ukrainian govt to be catalyst for further initiatives for years to come – high-ranking EC official 31.01.2023
- U.S. may announce new military assistance package to Ukraine soon – White House 31.01.2023
- Ukraine fully fulfils its intl obligations, incl Ottawa Convention, has already destroyed 3 mln anti–personnel mines – MFA 31.01.2023
Ukraine should start negotiations on EU membership this year – Zelensky
KYIV. Jan 19 (Interfax-Ukraine) – President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky has said that Ukraine should start negotiations on its future membership in the European Union this year.
"Ukraine and the EU have already achieved significant historical results in historical rapprochement. We are working to achieve much more. Our goal is full membership of Ukraine in the European Union. I am confident that we will achieve this goal," Zelensky said at a press conference with President of the European Council Charles Michel in Kyiv.
The Head of State expressed gratitude to him for the support of Ukrainian institutional development and the high assessment of Ukraine’s implementation of the relevant recommendations of the European Commission.
Zelensky also expressed hope that the next step on Ukraine’s path to the EU could be an interim positive assessment by the European Union of the efforts of the Ukrainian side.
"I informed Mr. President what decisions were taken by Ukraine and what progress we have achieved. I would like to note that this year we should start negotiations on Ukraine’s membership in the EU. This is our goal. There are all the necessary prerequisites for this. We have a lot of motivation and desire. We are moving forward," the president said.