- Zelensky thanks Canada for expanding, extending UNIFIER mission in Ukraine 27.01.2022
- Ukraine to deepen cooperation with Germany in decarbonization 27.01.2022
- Presidents of Ukraine, Lithuania discuss security situation along Ukrainian borders 27.01.2022
- Kuleba has audience with Queen Margrethe II of Denmark 27.01.2022
- Creating psychological pressure, Russia tries to worsen Ukraine’s economy – Shuliak 27.01.2022
Some 30 years passed since referendum on Ukraine's independence
KYIV. Dec 1 (Interfax-Ukraine) – On Wednesday, December 1, marks the 30th anniversary of the referendum on the independence of Ukraine and the election of the country’s first president, Leonid Kravchuk said.
As you know, at the all-Ukrainian referendum on December 1, 1991 on the confirmation of the Act on the Declaration of Independence of Ukraine, out of 84.18% (31.89 million) of fellow citizens living in the Ukrainian SSR and taking part in the referendum, 90.32% some 28.804 million people spoke in favor of confirming of this Act, adopted by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine on August 24, 1991.
The act of proclamation of independence was not supported by a total of 3.088 million (9.68% of those who voted) citizens. In total, 37.886 million fellow citizens had the right to vote.
In the Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic, the Act on the Declaration of Independence of Ukraine was supported by 54.19% of the voters who came (67.5% voted), in Sevastopol (then represented a separate administrative unit of central subordination) some 57.07% of voters (63.74% voted)
The referendum on December 1, 1991 effectively canceled the results of the March 1991 referendum on the preservation of the Soviet Union.