- Another Russian ship destroyed off Snake Island coast – Defense Ministry 07.05.2022
- Zelensky indicates the need to eliminate queues at gas stations – meeting of President’s Office with Cabinet 07.05.2022
- Sumy region shelled by Russian aircraft, serviceman of Border Guard Service wounded – regional authorities 07.05.2022
- Air defense shoots down Russian missile over Poltava region – head of regional administration 07.05.2022
- Two Russian servicemen who fired Grad at Kozacha Lopan to appear before court – prosecutor's office 07.05.2022
Saakashvili brothers rally in Tbilisi to demand authorities 'save Mikheil's life'
TBILISI. May 6 (Interfax) – Mikheil Saakashvili’s brothers David and Giorgi staged a rally in Tbilisi to demand that Georgia’s former president be visited by qualified doctors at Rustavi prison and transferred to a foreign clinic to undergo treatment.
Several hundred ordinary citizens, members of the opposition parties rallied outside the State Chancellery building on Thursday, an Interfax correspondent said.
"What we ask of the authorities is to save the life of Mikheil who is really between life and death. Unfortunately, the authorities have been cynical about my brother’s health, claiming he was harming himself intentionally by refusing food, in order to get out of prison," Giorgi Saakashvili told journalists.
The ex-president was barely taking any food and had serious problems with mobility and speech, he added.
"He needs urgent treatment, but this is not possible in prison. We, the Saakashvili family, appeal to the authorities to take action to save his life," Giorgi said.
Yesterday Justice Minister Rati Bregadze told journalists that the jailed former president was receiving necessary medical care but rejected certain medical procedures and treatment courses.