- Czech Defense Minister announces country’s readiness to send weapons to Ukraine – media 20.01.2022
- Stefanishyna to hold number of meetings with NATO officials in Brussels 20.01.2022
- Moldovan parliament declares 60-day state of emergency over gas crisis 20.01.2022
- Department of State approves shipments of American-made lethal weapons to Ukraine by Baltic countries – media 20.01.2022
- Blinken to give speech on Ukraine on Thursday – U.S. State Department 20.01.2022
Court of Appeal returns Yanukovych case, his complaint against verdict of treason to Obolonsky District Court
KYIV. Jan 5 (Interfax-Ukraine) – Kyiv’s Court of Appeal returned the criminal proceedings along with the appeal of the convicted former President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych to Obolonsky District Court of Kyiv, the Kyiv’s Court of Appeal press service said.
"By the ruling of the panel of judges of the judicial chamber on criminal cases of Kyiv’s Court of Appeal dated January 5, 2022, the criminal proceedings, along with the appeal of the convicted Viktor Yanukovych against the verdict of Obolonsky District Court of Kyiv dated January 24, 2019 was returned to Obolonsky District Court to fulfill the requirements of Part 3 of Article 400 of the Criminal Procedure Code," the court said in a press release on its website on Wednesday.
Thus, Part 3 of Article 400 of the Criminal Procedure Code (consequences of filing an appeal) provides that if an appeal is filed by an accused, against whom the court has sentenced according to the procedure of special court proceedings, the court renews the terms, provided that the accused provides confirmation of the existence of valid reasons and sends an appeal a complaint, together with the materials of criminal proceedings, to the court of appeal.
This determination of the Court of Appeal is of an exclusively procedural nature, since the Supreme Court upheld the verdict of Obolonsky District Court and the Court of Appeal in the case of high treason.
On December 6, 2021, the Supreme Court upheld the verdict of the courts of first and appeal instances in the case of treason of former President Yanukovych 13 years in prison.